Re: Re: Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting Plymouth to work in Beta 1
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 21:22:11 +0100
I have to checkout the Fedora release, but as far as I know they do not have
this "black screen" when starting up KDM/GDM. So somehow here the loading of
the graphics is faster or they are doing something different.

RHEL has it, not sure about Fedora, F17 doesn't install with my
partition layout (openSUSE does though ;))

I know that the "black screen" between grub and plymouth is caused by the
moment where plymouth is started within the initrd sequence. However plymouth
is depending on the creation of devices (udev step), and I am not really sure
if we want to go toward the direction where the plymouth script is creating
the console devices, etc (like Fedora is doing),.

Can this black screen have it's origins on VT switch from 1 to 7 ?
Everyone else moved X session to vt1, I'm pretty sure there's
something behind it, maybe asking Strode would be a good idea, of all,
he's the one who probably knows it.

If I recall correctly from the docs in 2010, plymouth should exit
without refreshing the screen (thus keeping the last image on the
display) and X needed to be restarted with a switch (-r if I recall
correctly) so it doesn't refresh the screen in order to keep the
'frozen' screen image from plymouth exit until GDM loads up.

May it be that X is actually kicking in before plymouth actually
exits? May it be that the vt transiction from 1 to 7 originates this?

I mean, are you sure that screen isn't meant to updated on a vt switch ? ;=)