Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 3.3.0-16.1 kernel does not allow install of nvidia driver
On 03/23/2012 11:44 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 23/03/12 19:19, Christian Bierwirth wrote:

Am 22.03.2012 01:21, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
12.1 tumbleweed x86_64
kernel-desktop-3.3.0-16.1.x86_64

trying to update nvidia driver with new kernel fails

sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run -a -K

fails, log below

: ~ # rpm -qa *kernel* |grep 3.3
kernel-desktop-3.3.0-16.1.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-16.1.noarch
kernel-source-3.3.0-16.1.noarch
kernel-desktop-devel-3.3.0-16.1.x86_64

nvidia-installer.log:
http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/nvidia-installer.log

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/tumbleweed/473658-re-kernel-3-3-nvidia-driver-fix.html

solved it for me

HTH
Thank you, Chris, for posting the above URL.

After DAYS of trying to apply the nVidia driver to my MS #2 installation I
finally succeeded.

But, I had to re-install the BASIC - without ANY updates - Milestone #2 (32-bit)
before I could do it and I had to do it with the executable script file given in
that URL.

The latest nVidia driver - 295.33 - does NOT install as it did in the past even
though it contains the patch for the 3.3 kernel. One first needs to download the
kernel-source and install 'make' and 'gcc' before running that script.

My patch will fix 295.33 WITHOUT kernel sources. All that is needed are the kernel headers. I'm fixing the include directories in the compilation, not blindly copying the generated headers.

Larry