[opensuse-factory] Re: [RFC DRAFT] Phasing out sysvinit
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:00:15 +0100
Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mardi 20 décembre 2011 à 20:21 +0100, Christian Boltz a écrit :
Hello,

Am Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2011 schrieb Frederic Crozat:
Le mardi 20 décembre 2011 à 16:05 +0100, Christian Boltz a écrit :
The initscript calls "aa-status", prints its output and returns the
status/errorcode based on $? of aa-status. How can I do this
(execute a command when checking the status) with systemd to get
at least the errorcode?

You can't, through systemd. The service will be based on either it is
running (for a RemainAfterExit=false type) or it was run based on its
error code (for a RemainAfterExit=true type).

In other words: when I ask for the status it says "well, I started it,
so it must still be active" - right?

I'm sorry, but just _assuming_ the status instead of _checking_ it
sounds like a bad idea[tm]. It's even worse because we are talking about
security-relevant services (AppArmor, SuSEfirewall) here - I'd prefer to
get the real status instead of a "well, I started it..." ;-)

Well, either there is a daemon running and the check is working fine,
either there isn't and the service isn't a "real" service. It was just
faked.

If that's an issue, there's a real problem. sysvinit is about more
than starting services. And from Lennart's blog posts, I always
assumed that systemd shall fold in all of that aspects -- I even
suspect that they want to fold in cron at some future point.

But more an issue for this thread: If systemd currently only
replaces the "starting services" aspect of sysvinit, what new
system does the rest? As long as this isn't cleared up, sysvinit
should not be abandoned, IMNSHO.

Joachim