On 12/17/2011 12:12 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

Hi:

Supporting 2 different init systems comes with a large increase of
possible usecases and scenarios that are very difficult to support
correctly, specially in the long term.

This RFC proposes steps to permanently phase out sysvinit from future
openSUSE releases.

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I think we should also consider
what to do about third party products or packages that are unlikely to
upgrade to systemd or where an upgrade is not expected before our first
release without sysvinit support.
I know this is difficult, but people who are using third party products
could list them. Examples I have myself - the HP Proliant Support Pack
and 3ware init-scripts.

Rand McNally Mile-Maker

PC-Miler

LSI raid cards

Adaptec raid cards

Equinox network serial port server

Digi network serial port server

Cyclades network serial port server

VSI-FAX

FacetWin (both the terminal emulator server and the file & print sharing server)

eicon DIVA server

I didn't ask for systemd, yet unless I want to be on an unsupported version of opensuse in a very few months, I suddenly have to take on the burden of updating or working around or reinventing the install and init scripts for all of those, some of which are no longer supported at all by the manufacturers even in the cases where the manufacturer still exists.

That's by far not an exhaustive list of course, probably not even complete just for my singular self.

And if I don't go through the significant time and hardware consuming steps to test and fully document the problems with each of those, it's my fault.

Thanks.

--
bkw