  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:58:13 +0100
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On 17/12/11 14:12, Per Jessen wrote:
but I think we should also consider
what to do about third party products or packages that are unlikely
to upgrade to systemd or where an upgrade is not expected before our
first release without sysvinit support.
I know this is difficult, but people who are using third party
products could list them. Examples I have myself - the HP Proliant
Support Pack and 3ware init-scripts.

Third party packages cannot be fixed by opensuse neither we should
stop doing things just because some other provider does not fix their
stuff.(will fail on fedora, mandriva and other distros that are in
this same boat too)

Yep.

If we consider this argument then nothing will go forward, the number
of usecase scenarios become unmanageable and will be forever stuck if
we care about crap packages provided by someone else.

It wasn't meant as an argument either way, only as a factor to consider.
People who depend on such packages would be left in the lurch. One
option is to say "well, sorry, but you're stuffed". I just think we
should state this up front.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.9°C)