Re: [opensuse-factory] KPackageKit's purpose
* Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> [11-20-11 17:15]:
On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:08:17 AM Tim Edwards wrote:
I had my netbook with me on a work trip. This netbook has a script
that I dropped into cron.daily that runs zypper up. I booted the netbook
up and did some stuff on it for a short time and then shut it down
again, not noticing that the hard drive light was flashing hard at work
doing something. On the next reboot opensuse refused to load.

Your problem is because of:
1) zypper default to download packages and install them before going to next
package. Breaking that in the middle can mean broken system.
Default with modern computers must be download in advance, or even better to
check with package size estimates from zypper and if there is room, download
all in advance, otherwise warn user that system must be running as long as
update process.

it is possible to alter /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to set this as default,
download in advance.