Re: [opensuse-factory] KPackageKit's purpose
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:34:33 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2011-11-02 at 14:39 +0100, Tim Edwards wrote:

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:30 PM, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

On Tuesday, 2011-11-01 at 17:08 +0100, Tim Edwards wrote:

BTW I found out first hand a few days ago why we need a proper updater on the
desktop:

No, what you found is why you should not do automated updates,
and why you should have backups. :-)

No, I found why we need a proper updater. Manual updates don't work
simply because users don't remember to run them regularly. That's why
all desktop OS's have automatic updates, and it's time we had an
automatic update program that works properly.

You will never have that. The updater may work properly, but the update itself can be bad, or some action needed aftewards, like a reboot. And the reboot can fail because the grub entry is faulty. I Have seen that more than once.

I NEVER trust updates, even less automatically.

BTW I do have backups of my stuff that's on /home, but there's no point
in backing up the stuff in / because it's faster to just re-install.

No, a dd is even faster.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)