Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:43:08AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag, 20. Juni 2011 schrieb Dr. Werner Fink:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:49:10PM -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 06/20/2011 10:41 AM, Dr. Werner Fink pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
WHY? You don't need /usr on a separate partition anymore.

I'm aware that a separate /usr is only optional. Personal I do not
use a separate /usr partition. Nevertheless I know customers using
such /usr partition to minimize downtime due e.g. file system problems.

Wouldn't it be better to fix the real problem instead?

Hmmm ... one real solution would be that udevd would delay request
for tools located below /usr (like some tools for alsam blutooth
and other tools which are excuted before /usr is mounted) id not
mounted. Also zypper could check if a directory touched by an
rpm is located on a ro mounted partition to temporary remount
this partition rw.

The first approach would avoid the problems which Kay may has seen
as udev maintainer in his bug reports I guess.

The second approach would also support a ro mounted root file
system with some mount points for the remaining rw data.
Why make /usr special? I want all static data on / to be ro.

The you may run into trouble with confiuration data located at /etc
that is if the system adminstrator want to change a confiuration,
e.g. a new network setup. On the other hand an ro root file
systems would be a great win.

Also currently zypper AFAIK does not support ro mounted mount points
of any ot the paths of an rpm. IMHO zypper should temporary remount
rw all paths relying on mount points and touched during installation,
update or modifying the file system(s).

Werner