Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On 06/20/2011 03:48 PM, Hans Witvliet pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 10:21 -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

WHY? You don't need /usr on a separate partition anymore.

I was first exposed to UNIX in 1988. Back then the largest harddrives
were not big enough to fit the whole operating system let alone user
login info plus any user data. There was no choice but to split some
directories off onto a separate drives (partitions).

Let's get our heads out of the sand and our asses and get with modern times.

The only directories I see as being beneficial on a separate partition
are the "tmp" directories which can fill a drive rather quickly if not
watched.

Perhaps good enough for you, when playing with a laptop at home

It just shows that you never came across a malfunctioning dhcp, bind,
ldap,apache, openvpn, kerberos, or asterisk server.

Did you ever had to do an fsk on a malfunctioning disk, while having a
claim of thousands of euro's for every minute down-time?

I did before I retired but in US$ not euro. And yes I had servers for dhcp, ldap, apache, squid ect. ect.

But I also ran them on reliable hardware using a reliable filesystem and a reliable UPS.

Obviously not!

Obviously I *did*.

hw

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998 starting with Sun OS in 1988