Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:47:01 +0200
On Friday 17 Jun 2011 19:42:31 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Friday 17 June 2011 19:32:09 Kay Sievers wrote:
Remember, FHS documents behavior, does not set rules to follow.

Where did you hear this? The FHS - and the LSB in general - was invented to
give us a set of standards that third-party developers to rely on to always
work, so they didn't have to live in constant fear of people upending
everything to break their software.

This was once considered important in linux. I personally believe it was
what made us number 1 on server systems.

The next move of the LSB and FHS was meant to be a standardisation of the
desktop, so we could move ahead there and eventually become number 1 there
as well. I think this was partly the idea of freedesktop.org and the work
around standards such as XDG

As a wise penguin once said "I see standards bodies as documentation and
really nothing more". And this is prbably close to the reality of the matter.
It can be argued that the LSB is lagging behind the pace of development and
change, especially on the desktop, and that would pretty much make it
documentation in my eyes. And out of date documentation at that.

Graham