Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:39:17 +0200
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 19:20 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
* Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx> [2011-06-17 17:06]:

I know you can run scripts from unit files, except that all the
functionality which has now been centralized and implemented
within systemd cannot be easily manipulated and scripted as
before. The recent inconsistency is fstab parsing is a symptom
why duplicating functionality is a bad idea.

Which inconsistency?

How did you customize mount -a, which was called unconditionally,
before systemd?

Bootup is about service dependency, which includes full hotplug support,
mounting of volumes, early host, locale, network setup, and all that.

Right, I was not talking about bootup but the management of
locale, time, and hostname thorugh systemd. Or replacing
ConsolKit, or managing user sessions and other stuff which has
nothing to do with bootup and management of system services.

You need locale _before_ you start any service.

You need the hostname before you start many services.

ConsoleKit functionality will be part of systemd, but not pid 1. It's
actually called systemd-logind. You don't need to use it if.

Current usual systems can not even mount a system disk that is plugged
in after boot. It just didn't work at all before systemd, not a single
working alternative besides partly Upstart was out there that could do
what we need today.

Hm, care to elaborate? Also, I don't think handling that should
be the task of a service manager.

Sure it should, stuff depends on files, so these dependencies need to be
managed. Systemd just calls fsck and mount(8) when needed, to make
things work, and blocks services depending on the stuff below the mount
points.

That's not true, systemd does not need the D-Bus server. You can even
boot up without D-Bus if you have a systems that does not have D-Bus
users. Systemd itself uses only private sockets and uses the D-Bus wire
protocol, but not D-Bus as a service.

OK, I suppose the dependency on the dbus-1 package is an
openSUSEism then.

No, it uses libdbus for systemctl to communicate to systemd. But it does
not use the D-Bus service or daemon, it talks directly to a private
socket.

Kay