Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:16:44 +0200
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 12:58 -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 06/17/2011 11:14 AM, Greg KH wrote:

So please, this isn't an issue at all, the entire rest of the Linux
community is moving to systemd, as a chance to standardize a lot of the
cross-distro differences, we can not, and should not, ignore that at
all.

My big concern with all of the systemd discussion is how much
flexibility that we (and UNIX generally) have classically had and are
losing with systemd. It's like the Apple/GNOME-ification of the boot
process and that's not necessarily a good thing. How many feature
requests have we seen to take functionality away? Many of the things
that are just being handwaved away as "no longer necessary" use the
extremely simplistic environment of a smartphone or tablet as an
example. Real world deployments of a full-fledged Linux distribution
tend to be a bit more complex.

What doesn't work anymore?

What is no longer possible?

What has taken away?

Then we're met with the "want X functionality? Put it in
the initramfs." at the same time that there are *other* people
actively trying to *eliminate* the initramfs.

That doesn't clash I think. People with separate /usr never really asked
to boot without an initramfs.

Kay