Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On 6/17/2011 6:22 AM, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:13:45PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

Sure, they will just need an initramfs that can do that, if they want it
to work in the future.

Actually, the long-term goal is to merge the useless split of / and /usr
back to /usr and be able to mount /usr ro on every system. It's the same
model as Android is doing with /system.

/usr will contain the entire system, and only /etc and /var will be
host-specific. /usr can be ro and be shared between many machines of the
same architecture. But all logic to set it up before init starts will be
in in the initramfs. People are actually already working on it.

It has to possible to boot the system into single user mode
maintenance without mounted partitions.

I've no problem if this is done in initramfs just as a
rescue mode even before mounting the root file system
but for /usr this is a hard requirement for every big
data server. Be aware that a s390x / and most ppc64 are
not a smart phones nor net books.

Werner

What does the "size" of a system have to do with the "size" of the os? All my systems, however big they be, still have a relatively tiny OS and essentially identical across all boxes and all the application specific stuff is outside the OS. I will LOVE it when I can realistically have a read-only /usr that is identical on any box, and backups will consist of just /etc, /home, application data and other additions that live everywhere outside of /usr, and a few recipe instructions for how to just reinstall from scratch and then restore the above dirs. It will make running a bunch of lxc containers from the same read-only bind mounted /usr a real possibility too which will be _wonderful_.

--
bkw