Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:37:25 +0200
From the side of the enterprise people: /usr mountable ro.
Please note that we have customers which are using exactly
this feature.

Sure, they will just need an initramfs that can do that, if they want it
to work in the future.

Actually, the long-term goal is to merge the useless split of / and /usr
back to /usr and be able to mount /usr ro on every system. It's the same
model as Android is doing with /system.

On servers I always have /, /usr, (/usr)/home, /var, and /tmp on
separate filesystems in order to prevent accidentally filling up
/. I know others are doing the same and I think that is a
perfectly legitimate use case.

--
Guido Berhoerster