Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:45:57 +0200
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 12:21 +0200, jdd wrote:
Le 17/06/2011 12:17, Kay Sievers a écrit :

And as we doubt that anybody can convince or patch all the upstream
projects to switch to the /etc/sysconfig/ format only, we better step
back and use the current native files, to have only one instance that
needs to be configured.

we have an unique and very usefull "rcservice" list of links, we can
as well have symlinks to config files in /etc/sysconfig (the
applications are inconsistent on where they set they config file, even
how they name it)

Sure, but if you teach system management to edit native file formats
(which is what we should do instead of inventing 2nd level on-top files)
then you can simply teach it the native location instead of linking
things together for no real reason. :)

Actually we make many people happy when there is only one file, because
they can edit it by hand or with the system management at the same time,
and don't need to care what system management will overwrite in the
primary files with the out-of-sync stuff from the artificial 2nd level.

There is no rush to force or to do anything like that immediately, stuff
will just continue to work as long as needed, but the future definitely
doesn't look like /etc/sysconfig/ files put on top by the distribution.

by the way what will these start stop service become with systemd?

systemctl start/stop <name>.service

You could probably simply extend systemd's bash completion to
auto-complete rc<tab,tab> with the list of all services. :)

Kay