Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:13:45 +0200
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 12:01 +0200, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 04:20:09PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 15:56 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

One example why committing to systemd is not simply about switching
the init daemon. And it seems from the responses on the Fedora
and GNOME lists that I'm not the only one getting the impression
that systemd employs technology to push personal and political
agendas.

Sure the agendas of a whole lot of people. Like every actively
maintained project.

Systemd tries to solve the system service management, not just to
replace init. It was clear from the beginning, and it wasn't started to
just replace SYSV. It will be some sort of a base system on its own.

Judging by the current speed of adoption by distros, and the dropping of
SYSV support by many of them, and the pressure coming from the
enterprise people for advanced features, I don't think there is much to
discuss on the general direction in the future, unless someone comes up
with something else on top the current stuff.

From the side of the enterprise people: /usr mountable ro.
Please note that we have customers which are using exactly
this feature.

Sure, they will just need an initramfs that can do that, if they want it
to work in the future.

Actually, the long-term goal is to merge the useless split of / and /usr
back to /usr and be able to mount /usr ro on every system. It's the same
model as Android is doing with /system.

/usr will contain the entire system, and only /etc and /var will be
host-specific. /usr can be ro and be shared between many machines of the
same architecture. But all logic to set it up before init starts will be
in in the initramfs. People are actually already working on it.

Kay