Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 04:20:09PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 15:56 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

One example why committing to systemd is not simply about switching
the init daemon. And it seems from the responses on the Fedora
and GNOME lists that I'm not the only one getting the impression
that systemd employs technology to push personal and political
agendas.

Sure the agendas of a whole lot of people. Like every actively
maintained project.

Systemd tries to solve the system service management, not just to
replace init. It was clear from the beginning, and it wasn't started to
just replace SYSV. It will be some sort of a base system on its own.

Judging by the current speed of adoption by distros, and the dropping of
SYSV support by many of them, and the pressure coming from the
enterprise people for advanced features, I don't think there is much to
discuss on the general direction in the future, unless someone comes up
with something else on top the current stuff.

From the side of the enterprise people: /usr mountable ro.
Please note that we have customers which are using exactly
this feature.

Werner