Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:20:09 +0200
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 15:56 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
* Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx> [2011-06-16 15:09]:

In the future we want /etc/defaults and /etc/sysconfig, and all the
other friends distros invented to die. :)

Different distros have different policies and objectives which is
why such efforts have failed before,

Mostly for no good reason. 95% of the distro-on-top changes are just
because they didn't know better or the service didn't provide the right
stuff. All that is fixable.

and with Debian and Ubuntu two
major distros have already opted out of that.

'That' means systemd? Debian is very active in systemd development, and
Ubuntu hasn't decided anything, besides the fact that the original
author from Canonical has left, and is no longer developing Upstart.

Information in /etc/sysconfig also does not necessarily only contain
configuration information specific to a service but also
information on how to manage that service (my own
/etc/sysconfig/zfs-fuse comes to mind and there are others).
And how is all this supposed to integrate with YaST?

Do your own config file in top-level /etc for your service. And use a
sane format and sane options, and let Yast edit that file directly if
really needed.

But stuff that works today should not stop working. It might just be,
that in the background systemd is doing some stuff for sessions (like
ConsoleKit) that is not used by anything.

One example why committing to systemd is not simply about switching
the init daemon. And it seems from the responses on the Fedora
and GNOME lists that I'm not the only one getting the impression
that systemd employs technology to push personal and political
agendas.

Sure the agendas of a whole lot of people. Like every actively
maintained project.

Systemd tries to solve the system service management, not just to
replace init. It was clear from the beginning, and it wasn't started to
just replace SYSV. It will be some sort of a base system on its own.

Judging by the current speed of adoption by distros, and the dropping of
SYSV support by many of them, and the pressure coming from the
enterprise people for advanced features, I don't think there is much to
discuss on the general direction in the future, unless someone comes up
with something else on top the current stuff.

Anyway, better join the development now, if you don't like the direction
and want to influence things.

Kay