Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
Kay Sievers wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 13:18 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Kay Sievers wrote:
The other example of socket activation is package upgrades. When pid 1
keeps the socket established, you can replace packages without ever
losing any new connection.

You don't need systemd for that though. Keeping sockets open across
exec is an operating system feature. The hard part is restoring the
application's state and that's nothing systemd can help with.
From the top of my head I only remember irssi which can re-exec
itself since ages without losing connections or state.
It's embarassing that e.g. dbus updates require a system reboot but
that's nothing systemd can magically solve.

We don't want any service besides pid 1 to re-ecec itself. It's just to
fragile to get right.
[...]
You can upgrade/restart many services without interruption.

Maybe you didn't run "systemctl restart dbus.service" today to watch
your login session collapse :-)
No doubt that systemd taking care of listening sockets is useful for
simple, more or less stateless services. Starting udevd that way
isn't too impressive though. As soon as you have more connections
and state information associated with the connections the
application needs to do the hard work though, no matter whether
started via systemd or not.

Next dbus security update is already in the queue btw.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel