Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:35:01 +0200
On Thursday 16 June 2011 15:21:29 Kay Sievers wrote:
What fails? Can you give some relevant examples?

Everything that uses the udev database which was populated with /usr
around but needed tools from there to do so.

Ah yes. udev is also one of your projects. Also pushed into the initrd for
absolutely no reason whatever, and the cause of so many problems because of it
that it's not even funny

Network setups are known to fail. 3G modems get the wrong drivers
attached. Sound does not work. All the stuff that has deeper
dependencies on hardware/device setups.

huh? Network setups fail when /usr is readonly? What are you talking about?

Nothing complex should start before boot.localfs. It should be one of the
absolute first things to run. After that, you have a /usr and anything that
expects to be able to write to it should be fixed because it is fundamentally
broken

What do you mean by 'that thing'? I suggest to mount /usr from inside
the initramfs, just like we mount / from there, before init/udev/D-Bus
or anything which might need /usr is started, yes.

Then you have completely misunderstood the purpose of /usr

I propose that we not allow systemd to completely rewrite the entire userspace
setup of linux.

It was supposed to be a replacement for init, not a replacement for
*everything*

Anders