Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:27:23 +0200
* Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx> [2011-06-16 14:46]:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:23 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:04:47 Will Stephenson wrote:
3) What are the big gaps that it doesn't currently do, compared to
sysvinit?
I hear of things like encrypted LVM volumes not working being dismissed as
unimportant.
I'll start you off with "password agents to do interactive things during
service startup, eg openvpn passwords" (bnc675406):
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents

read-only /usr mounts I believe were dismissed as unimportant as well

They can't work reliably, and never worked reliably for any non-trivial
setup. They did not in the recent past, and never will in the future.
Anybody who still claims that hasn't look into any of the
non-interesting details of the current reality.

We just require that /usr is mounted from initramfs, when systemd is
started, nobody cares where /usr comes from or if its writable.

The time where we boot up with only 30% of the system available, start
stuff referencing /usr and silently fail, but pretending stuff will
still work, is now over.

What about NFS-mounted /usr? I actually fixed some minor problems
with sysvinitscripts and made sure it worked when it came up last
time on this list that /usr over NFS was "broken".
--
Guido Berhoerster