Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:46:47 +0200
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:23 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:04:47 Will Stephenson wrote:
3) What are the big gaps that it doesn't currently do, compared to sysvinit?
I hear of things like encrypted LVM volumes not working being dismissed as
unimportant.
I'll start you off with "password agents to do interactive things during
service startup, eg openvpn passwords" (bnc675406):
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents

read-only /usr mounts I believe were dismissed as unimportant as well

They can't work reliably, and never worked reliably for any non-trivial
setup. They did not in the recent past, and never will in the future.
Anybody who still claims that hasn't look into any of the
non-interesting details of the current reality.

We just require that /usr is mounted from initramfs, when systemd is
started, nobody cares where /usr comes from or if its writable.

The time where we boot up with only 30% of the system available, start
stuff referencing /usr and silently fail, but pretending stuff will
still work, is now over.

The real fix is to extend initramfs to provide that feature, and not to
mindlessly move just another tool to the rootfs, and hope it will fix
something.

Today, people should see the initramfs is the 'rootfs', not some
misguided idea about the split between /usr/bin and /bin and /usr/lib
and /lib, ...

It is planned, that in the future we will move the entire rootfs
to /usr. The entire system will be contained in that (similar to what
Android and MacOS have as /system) and the entire /usr can then be
shared read-only.

Kay