Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
Kay Sievers wrote:
On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 11:48 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
Le mercredi 15 juin 2011 à 09:08 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger a écrit :

So if I'm installing a web server machine with apache, it will boot
quickly, but the first access to the server will take almost forever
because nobody connected to port 80 before and thus apache wasn't
started? Or does "use only what you need when you need it" not apply
here (and if not, why)?

Socket activation is mainly used to simplify service startup and to
avoid to express any dependencies, and not about on-demand start.

The other example of socket activation is package upgrades. When pid 1
keeps the socket established, you can replace packages without ever
losing any new connection.

You don't need systemd for that though. Keeping sockets open across
exec is an operating system feature. The hard part is restoring the
application's state and that's nothing systemd can help with.
From the top of my head I only remember irssi which can re-exec
itself since ages without losing connections or state.
It's embarassing that e.g. dbus updates require a system reboot but
that's nothing systemd can magically solve.

With systemd you can even replace services like syslogd with a different
implementation without ever losing a single message.

Well, I doubt that's relevant in practice and would only work for
the local socket anyways. Kind of funny that you take syslog as
example though since you only care about rsyslogd.

Services are also automatically restarted if a service crashes, without
losing any new message submitted during the time the service was not
available. Clients will never see connection refused.

These are mostly features enterprise users asked for, and what no other
init can really provide or work around.

The plain old inetd could already do local socket activation¹. Maybe
the name prevented people from using it for that purpose.
Unfortunately xinetd lost the ability to use local sockets.
Implementing it wouldn't be rocket science though.

cu
Ludwig

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=inetd&sektion=8

--