Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:08:01 +0200
Am 11.06.2011 21:53 schrieb Greg KH:
[...] Because what we have right now sucks.

Seriously, it does, it was great for the 70's and 80's when things were
static, but now, it makes absolutly no sense whatsoever. Linux has been
evolving to support this type of dynamic, use only what you need when
you need it, type of a system for a very long time now, and this is just
one piece of that progression that has been needing to change for a very
long time.

So if I'm installing a web server machine with apache, it will boot
quickly, but the first access to the server will take almost forever
because nobody connected to port 80 before and thus apache wasn't
started? Or does "use only what you need when you need it" not apply
here (and if not, why)?

Looking at http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activation.html it
seems that systemd socket activation adds an additional overhead of a
few context switches for every single connect. How big is the
performance degradation for short-lived TCP and UDP connections in that
case?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel