Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 06:45:33PM +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

Anyway, since such a decision has implications for the whole
distribution and its direction due to the associated costs of
switchting to it and possibly away from it in the future I would
expect some deliberation based on technical grounds in public
_before_ making that decision including an evaluation of the
alternatives, reasoning why it is desirable to fully commit to it
right now (as opposed to providing optional support), associated
costs, reasoning why it is in the interest of openSUSE etc. So
far I haven't been able to find any such deliberation or even a
simple discussion about making a decision in whichever form,
there are just several statements by SUSE employees which take it
for granted that systemd will be the default in 12.1, this was my
main point and is what irks me the most in this case.

Hi Guido,

first of all - I wrote only about fact it's good to have systemd in
**Factory** enabled by default earlier than later. This will give us
more time for testing and on the end we will have the hard facts
to decide if it will make a sense enable it by default on 11.2 or not.
This is similar to Linus's talk is cheap approach.

Of course all people involved in systemd hopes it will be default in
11.2 - it does not make a sense to work on a project, when you don't trust
it will be succesfull, right?

For the rest, you wrote "there are just several statements by SUSE
employees". Please be aware of that despite the part behind @ in our
email, we are just the part of community like any other. At least me is
telling only my POW here, but I'm sure that the rest of colleagues are
doing the same.

And my POW is simple - I am convinced systemd is a) better than any of
sysvinit alternatives like upstart, runit, init-ng or whatever else I
checked and read some documentation, b) is the future of Linux world.
I don't care about costs (if you mean the mapower as a cost), because it
will take a little time from me to support that. So I'm open to support
it.

But if you see a need for such decission making process before, then
it's up to you as a part of community, because I (and probably others) see
no need for it. IOW if you want such process, then you have make it. I
would say you should ask openSUSE Board [1] for help.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board_2010

Best Regards
Michal Vyskocil