Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 09:52:45AM +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

Yeah it sucks, and it has for a long time compared to its
alternatives and I'm also familiar with SMF on Solaris, rc on
FeeBSD and its modernization efforts[1], as well as upstart on
Ubuntu. I'd still be interested in the reasoning why we have to
switch right now and why it has to be systemd.

Why now? Upstream claimed it is enough stable and feature complete, it
has been already released in Fedora 15, so will be here any better time
in future? And of course, having it enabled by default earlier in
Factory would help with bugfixing a lot.

From administrator point of view is the most important it provides the
simple access to majority Linux features - cpu schedulers, io scheduling,
cgroups, pam, process namespaces and so and so [1]

With systemd you can disable, change or override the vendor suppliend
service. Nothing will prevents you to create your own sshd.service,
which will be never replaced on package upgrade like /etc/init.d/sshd.

Having the same way how the service is started independently on the way
how the start is triggered is unique - now you have to maintain init
script and (x)inetd configuration file separate. With systemd
whatever-activation will turn on the same .service file.

Usage of cgroups makes the system much robust and prevents you from
mistakes like killall in one init script will kill all instances of
daemon. And with the easy of creating your own variants of init scripts,
you can very easy maintain more instances of one service.

And yes, when the whole logic of service run/start/restart is now a part
of systemd, so no need to reimplement it again and again.

There are of course more features, like socket-based activation, paralel
start, no need of fork, clean execution environment, having a great
cross-distro consolidation [2] (because it contains tools like) and so,
but I hope this is enough for you.

[1] http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd.exec.html
[2] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-new-configuration-files.html

Regards