Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 10:41:56 +0200
* Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx> [2011-06-10 19:04]:
systemd is coming for next openSUSE (12.1) scheduled next fall.

As far as I'm aware there was only one recent discussion on this
this list about it [1] which started with the premise that systemd
will be the default for 12.1. I'd like to know who has decided
when and for what reasons that systemd will be the default for
12.1? More specifically, what alternatives were considered and why
and how is systemd serving the openSUSE project better in the
long term?
So far it has been treated as an option in Factory, however
switching SysV initscripts over to the native systemd-format will
make reversing this much harder if not impossible (and it's not
that this hasn't happened before when upstart was supposed to be
the next big thing).
I admit that I disapprove of its approach to cram everything but
the kitchen sink into an init daemon (including stuff completely
unrelated to init such as (auto)mounting, handling LUKS volumes,
controlling the system locale, time, and hostname, replacing
ConsoleKit, or the planned per-user session-startup
functionality) rather thank keeping it simple and doing one thing
well (a design philosophy which has served Un*x systems rather
well in terms of functionality, security, and sustainability of
codebases). So far it's not even clear where this will end.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.devel/33091
--
Guido Berhoerster