Re: [opensuse-factory] kde4-printer-applet requires gtk3 (surely this cannot be)
Hi Felix,

On Thursday 02 June 2011 22:48:17 Felix Miata wrote:
I HTTP installed fresh a minimal X Factory this AM, and am trying for a
minimalist KDE4, since there doesn't seem to be a pattern for the purpose.
# zypper in --no-recommends kde4-printer-applet
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Why should _anyone_ need GTK3 to make KDE apps work? Do I actually need
kde4-printer-applet, or is YaST2 sufficient for installing and controlling
unshared ethernet printers? Don't other distros that don't have YaST2 make
KDE work without GTK?

The Applet itself does not require GTK3. However the applet is nothing more
than a frontend for printer administration. The real work is done by system-
config-printer and this is unfortunately not a KDE package and it is based on
GTK3.

There was an attempt to create an KDE application that would directly
communicate with CUPS for printer/job administration, however AFAIK this was
never released nor 100% completed.

Regards

Raymond