Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL and related
Am 01.06.2011 16:54, schrieb Greg Freemyer:
fyi: if adding kde3 back into factory does not cause something else to
be kicked out, I think it should be. I think the community
packager(s) has proven he is willing to support it to some extent.

Depends on the support-level. Imagine, they do it as a hobby beside their regular jobs. Now, the situation comes up, that they haven´t the time anymore to *really* work on the project because they come tired at home, watch a few tv shows and then go to bed because their batteries are already empty.

And then imagine these people who are using the KDE3 desktop and need to get a fix _as_soon_as_possible_ because it´s security-related.
How will they get them whereas the maintainers *aren´t* there for fixing it?

I know you could say that about *every* piece of software, but espacially when we talking about the desktop, the tool, where the user interacts most with, we need to make sure, that the support is in a professional way.

That doesn´t mean, that the hobby maintainers aren´t good or just too busy at all, but the risk is there at anytime.

==== Support of KDE 3.5.x ====

The KDE project itself says, that KDE 3.x is dead, and that you should switch to KDE SC 4.x. From that point of view, it doesn´t make any sense to support a dead platform. _*But*_ there´s another view: These people who aren´t happy about KDE4, but aren´t happy with LXDE, Xfce, GNOME and whatever, can still use their desired desktop.

And there´s the Trinity project. Trinity delivers a KDE3-desktop in still maintaining-mode, based on Qt4 now. IMHO it makes much more sense to switch to Trinity and *then* push it to factory.

What do you mean?

-kdl

--
Kim-Dennis Leyendecker
openSUSE Ambassador / openSUSE Wiki Team DE