Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL and related
On Wednesday 01 June 2011 20:35:40 Kim Leyendecker wrote:
Am 01.06.2011 16:06, schrieb Ilya Chernykh:
On Wednesday 01 June 2011 17:22:46 Vincent Untz wrote:
"openSUSE staff" is the community. It's not SUSE/Novell.

I guess (but I don't know, since I've not followed things there) that
the point is that KDE3 is not officially supported by the project,
mostly because nobody wants to promise anything about security fixes
and stability (people working on it will do their best, though).

Possibly, but can one promise with confidence security fixes for any
package in openSUSE?

Well, the probabilty is much more higher that you will get updates for
Firefox

Firefox is just one of about 10000 packages in openSUSE. Can you say the
same about all of them?

then updates for KDE3, because it´s still in *active*
development. That´s the garantee you get.

By the way, there people who are still maintaining the old KDE3-stuff
(great, if you ask me) but wouldn´t it be better to switch to the
Trinity project, because they will give you a much more bigger garantee
that you will get fixes?

What can prevent anybody from adding patches from Trinity or any other
KDE3-related project to KDE:KDE3 repository? There is nothing in Trinity that
is incompatible with KDE3.

So far it is Trinity that benefited from patches from openSUSE's KDE:KDE3, not
other way around.

And regarding your question about possibility of inclusion of Trinity, they
are currently porting build system to cmake, and this has higher priority
than anything else. The current release still uses autotools and the next
will use cmake. Thus inclusion of current Trinity version will be obsolete
work.