Re: [opensuse-factory] EOL feature
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:31:15PM +0200, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

The idea of a warning system of some kind as the current version nears
EOL is an interesting idea, but there's going to have to be a way to do
it without freaking out a user who panics at the sight of any warning or
suspects this must be malware (on Windows, this is the kind of warning
that malware thrives on.)

The warning method would have to be "disable-able" too for
administrators if openSUSE is deployed in large environments or support
staff will get inundated with needless calls from panicked workers when
they already know and have a plan for migration. :-)

Maybe I think of it a little bit too simplistic, but what about
something like this:

Before we get any release EOL, we publish a last / final 'security'
update for aaa_base with a 'license' text, that is actually an
announcement of EOL of any given release.

We could even go as far and suggest to keep a 'repository' alive for the
last two EOL products, containing only meta data and the 'security'
update to aaa_base, for not to have any time a user dropping out into
package manager / repository issues.

* aaa_base of course can be replaced with any other package we ensure is
there... but it should be something deep enough, which users do not
fiddle with. So surely not any kernel... they tend to be replaced :)

Maybe even a system like on SLE (sorry to bring it up :) ) but there is
a bunch of scripts supporting the move forward to newer service packs
for example. And generally those updater scripts are pushed as update,
containing descriptive text what to do next. It would help us get the
users updated to the next releases.

We did this previously (some releases ago), but the message display code
is no longer there.

We have post-update messages still, but...
... PackageKit and its updaters I think do not show them, so they are
quite useless.

Btw, the 11.2 update repo is still there, just the lots of buildservice
repositories for 11.2 are gone, as Adrian just removed on the EOL day are the
issue I guess.

Ciao, Marcus