Re: [opensuse-factory] mirrorbrain
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:21:09 +0200
Lars Vogdt wrote:

On Fr 25 Mär 2011 19:45:46 CET Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://en.opensuse.org/MirrorBrain

Am I the only one in the US to find this to be more bad than good?
Just about any time I use download.opensuse.org repos instead of a
specific mirror for a lengthy dup, I find either slower than average
download speeds, and/or find downloading halted by errors that do not
self correct via retries.

The problem with US is not only that we miss some powerful mirrors in
this region. We already discussed the possibility to have some "GeoIP
based servers" hosting download.opensuse.org - but until now, our
internet provider could not offer us some Nameservers that can handle
requests based on the GeoIP of the requester.
In a beautiful world, we would have:
a) DNS servers pointing users to their closest incarnation of
download.opensuse.org
b) a lot of mirrors in the region which the redirector can redirect to

But isn't exactly what mirrorbrain is supposed to help do?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.1°C)