Re: [opensuse-factory] was: mirrorbrain
On 2011/03/28 06:35 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

But Felix, this is not a "US language email list".

That's not how I interpret:

"User/Support
opensuse English Generic questions and User to User support for the
openSUSE distribution"

from http://lists.opensuse.org/ where there are many lists for the same purpose but in other languages.

This is an
international mail list, used by a lot of people with English as first
language and by a lot with different languages, all of them trying to
communicate with a more or less common language. You have to make some
leeway and try to guess the meaning, or ask - politely.

Of course, but sometimes there is no apparent question to ask or guess about, as when someone uses a common word for something other than its most common meaning among those for whom the language is native.

You overreacted. Text attachments of any kind are not dangerous on Linux,

In this list it obviously isn't about significant danger, though some subscribers here do use email software that is susceptible to danger from binary attachments. It's about bandwidth and inconvenience. The attachment complained of was capable of being attached inline, which would have made both its small size and type readily apparent, quite the opposite of the type actually used.

Perhaps you are reading with Outlook, which is known
to be vulnerable to many types of attack :-P

As I've already mentioned in this very thread, every email I send announces in the headers what it was sent with, most certainly not any proprietaryware from Redmond; just as every email I open that has made an equivalent announcement shows me automatically the UA it was sent with (in your case, Alpine 2.00 (LNX 1167 2008-08-23)). Consequently, there's no need to guess what I use, or suggest something not well known for susceptibility to malware.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/