Re: [opensuse-factory] mirrorbrain
On Fr 25 Mär 2011 19:45:46 CET Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://en.opensuse.org/MirrorBrain

Am I the only one in the US to find this to be more bad than good? Just
about any time I use download.opensuse.org repos instead of a specific
mirror for a lengthy dup, I find either slower than average download
speeds, and/or find downloading halted by errors that do not self
correct via retries.

The problem with US is not only that we miss some powerful mirrors in this region. We already discussed the possibility to have some "GeoIP based servers" hosting download.opensuse.org - but until now, our internet provider could not offer us some Nameservers that can handle requests based on the GeoIP of the requester.

In a beautiful world, we would have:
a) DNS servers pointing users to their closest incarnation of download.opensuse.org
b) a lot of mirrors in the region which the redirector can redirect to

What _everyone_ can do is trying to find more mirrors in his own region providing some of the openSUSE repositories and tell us about them (admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

To get rid of the initial delay for request from US => download.opensuse.org, we need some other instances around the world. We may start with something like "http://<region>.download.opensuse.org/" if there is someone in the community who can help us with this.

With kind regards,
Lars