Re: [opensuse-factory] Build Target Tumbleweed
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Greg KH wrote:

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 04:06:22PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Greg KH wrote:

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:07:21AM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2011, 08:49:32 schrieb Hans Witvliet:
On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 08:26 +0100, Sascha Manns wrote:
Hello Mates,

i've just checked the possible Build Targets, but i've not found
Tumbleweed.
Can i build against Tumbleweed?

cu
Sascha

Seems not to be possible, or builders are not interested in it.

You can always build against any repository in OBS. We just have not
added it
to the "simple list" yet, because it is still in develpoment phase IMHO.

It is? It looks out of "development phase" to me. What would have to
happen to make it move out of that for you to feel comfortable with it?

I don't think you want to build against tumbleweed. Isn't tumbleweed
a repo where I am supposed to be able to "pick" new versions from
for 11.4?

No.

Your comment below suggests otherwise.

If so building against tumbleweed would cause excessive dependencies
to be pulled from it.

I don't understand what this means, how could this happen?

If I want program FOO in a new version I add tumbleweed as repo
to my 11.4 and do zypper install FOO. If FOO is built against
tumbleweed then might link agains LIBBAR which is of a new version
in tumbleweed. This will cause LIBBAR to be updated for me,
eventually breaking binaries that were built against LIBBAR in 11.4.

Tumbleweed is "just" openSUSE:11.4 with updated packages that are in
Factory pulled into it to make it easier for users to stay up-to-date
with newer stable packages.

For example, the kernel in Tumbleweed right now is at 2.6.38, while it
will remain at 2.6.37 in the openSUSE:11.4 repo for forever.

It also has updated versions of Samba and a number of other packages.
See the openSUSE wiki page for more details about what Tumbleweed is if
you are curious.

So you never update libraries in Tumbleweed? Or if you update a
library in Tumbleweed you make sure to also re-build all users
of that library in Tumbleweed?

Thanks,
Richard.

--