Re: [opensuse-factory] Chromium as the default browser in the next release?
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 22/03/11 10:41, Manu Gupta escribió:
Can we have chromium as the default browser in the next release?

My reasons being

1. Faster
2. Better support for HTML5 and CSS3
3. Excellent browser rendering capabilities
4. Appstore is as good as firefox's and getting better

The only issue I have is it creates multiple process

I agree with the positive features you mention, but have you seen the
mess it is internally ?

-It duplicates a large number of components of the OS, Webkit, sqlite,
ICU, etc...that's a hell for maintenance. (well, firefox does the same
insanity) , but yeah, it is expected that at some point in the future
google will fix this.

That's not too much of a concern though as long as
- google fixes the issues of the bundled software
- chromium stays a leaf package that can be version upgraded all the time
- people accept that the browser's behavior may change any time for
better or worse due to the version updates.

So it's not much different from Firefox with the exception that
Firefox does have predictable releases and clearly states what
security isses have been fixed.

Maintenance problems start if we can't version upgrade anymore for
some reason.

First and foremost the package needs to be submitted to Factory
and pass the acceptance criteria though.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel