Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
On Saturday 19 March 2011 21:19:35 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 19 March 2011 20:08:27 Peter Nikolic wrote:
1 it aint an Ext* file system always had problems with them
2 it's a lot newer so it's got to bet better

I hope you are joking about that. A file system always takes years to
mature to the point where it is reliable enough for serious data. btrfs
doesn't even have its basic feature set ready yet, never mind having it
tested.
If i was joking it would be full of smiley's

Get back to me in 2015, then we can talk about using btrfs for serious
things

When reiserfs was new, it crashed, I lost data.
When xfs (for linux) was new, it crashed, I lost data.
Not had Reisefs crash not had Xfs crash had all versions of Ext* crash and
burn to many times

reiserfs and (especially) xfs today are stable and reasonably reliable. It
will take a while for btrfs to reach that point, no matter how much we
trust the developers of it

Anders

Well i would far rather see man power going into BTRFS than any on ext*

Personally i think we can get rid of Ext* quick enough .

Think i may try anh experiment when i have a spare drive ti install 11.4 on
and set it up to boot on Xfs and home on Btrfs see how it goes anything
but Ext*

Pete .