Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:40:29 -0400
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 5:45 AM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 19/03/2011 22:31, todd rme a écrit :

But why does it have to matter to a majority of users?  If it helps
just 1% of users, but doesn't hurt anybody, why wouldn't we change?

because this part of the users already know how to use it, so they don't
need the change.

average users don't care, but a bit less average ones had a lot of work
learning etx3, then 4 and wont like to have to learn again.

I lived this with lpr versus cups, xorg automation, kde3 versus kde4 and
it's pretty umpleasant to change something that works and you know by
something that works but you don't know, because anything working is always
"almost" working, so one always have to trick a setup at a moment or an
other, and seeing it's no more what you know is bad.

What, exactly, is there to learn?

Compressing directories is pretty common if you want to save space.

and it's in many cases plenty stupid. Only text can be compressed. The large
files for now are video or photos and these are already compressed. The net
compress gain on our time of cheap large hard drives is really not visible
(or we have to see convincing statistics). A compressed FS may also be more
difficult to recover, if ever a problem come, because one have to use
compatible drivers.

There are plenty of reasons why someone would have large amounts of
text. Businesses, for instance. I have massive amounts of text
because I am in scientific research. In fact the vast majority of one
of my hard drives is text, tens of gigabytes of it.

Encryption is especially popular with laptops
since they can be stolen easily.

yes, this is a good point

Incremental dumps makes backups much more efficient and effective.
Linux is already suffering from a lack of good backup solutions.

what? there are so many... the problem is to setup a good policy for every
people needs (each people have to use a personal policy to acheive a good
result)

Just because there are lots of something doesn't mean any of them are
particularly good. And even if they are, an improvement would still
likely help a lot of people.

And overall it will provide many of the features of LLVM directly in
the filesystem.

this is a good point. also the snapshot feature could be an enormous
advantage if it works like VirtualBox snapshots. But is it really possible
to be as flexible as that? Launching a snapshot for games and an other
snapshot for work?

I don't know, but I didn't mention snapshots at all because I don't
know enough about them.

-Todd