Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 21:39:43 +0100
Kim Leyendecker wrote:

Am 19.03.2011 20:56, schrieb Roman Bysh:
I really like the snapshot feature to allow the user to roll back to
an earlier snapshot. Not available on ext4.

This would benefit users.

_This would benefit users totaly_ It happens too much to me, that I
crashed my workstation-system and have to reinstall all.

Are you a typical user, Kim? I know I am not, but I'm trying to put
myself in his or her situation. Does anyone with our regular set of
repositories really have to do regular rollbacks?? I really hope not.

VirtualBox gives me something to recover some snapshots. But to work
on a virtualmachine all the time isn´t the right solution, right?

Right.

This would benefit the users and I think this have to be the final
point to say: Okay, let us use btrfs. How many people crashes their
system and have to restart at zero? I think that these people want to
have a filesystem that will help them.

Only if they have our facilities/framework to help them too.
See, that could become a genuine argument for defaulting to btrfs - "the
openSUSE distro offers immediate, at the-press-of-a-button, rollback of
<something or other system change>" - but only if the user install on
btrfs.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.4°C)