Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:36:49 +0100
todd rme wrote:

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I only asked a question, which you didn't answer.  Note - I'm
specifically NOT interested in discussing the dis/advantages of
btrfs, I'm only interested in the reasoning behind making (or not) it
the default for openSUSE.  (is my English really that difficult to
read?)

I would say there are two main reasons:

1. There are a bunch of features that both users and administrators
will find useful (depending on the feature)

That goes for just about any filesystems we currently support in YaST.

2. If we don't make it default, the majority of people who know enough
to change it likely will, making it harder to offer support to users
and encouraging less-advanced users to fiddle with the partitioning
configuration which they really shouldn't touch.

That goes for every other filesystem that is not the default.

That is assuming it is in a state where the majority of people would
change to it if they knew enough and knew how.

And why.

Todd, thanks your attempt at arguing why we should change the default
filesystem.
Can someone advocating btrfs as the default filesystem in the next
openSUSE please provide an argument along these lines:

"We should make btrfs the default filesystem in openSUSE because the
vast majority [= at least 80%] of openSUSE users will significantly
benefit from the following new features or qualities:

[please list at least two].

Thanks.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.2°C)