Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:43:48 +0100
Stephan Kleine wrote:

On Friday March 18 2011 21:10:27 Per Jessen wrote:
Jeff Mahoney wrote:

On 03/14/2011 04:23 AM, jdd wrote:
Le 14/03/2011 07:56, Per Jessen a écrit :
Regardless of the state of btrfs, what would be the purpose of
making it default?

coping with new high capacity hardware?

going where the most active developpers are?

Eventually it will be the default.

Why?

I'm not overly concerned with what we choose as a default filesystem,
but I would like to understand how one is chosen and in particular
when and why we would choose to change (from the previous default).

E.g. cause you then will be able to do an automated snapshot before
any zypper up or dup so you can safely roll back if anything goes
wrong and quite some more.

Perhaps a reason for using it, but not a reason for making it default.

So, since even the Ext X main developer says that btrfs is the future,
can you please read up on the advantages and disadvantages and until
you find any serious flaws you brought up to the devs attentions just
believe them since they know what they are talking about instead of
yet another endless "discussion".

I only asked a question, which you didn't answer. Note - I'm
specifically NOT interested in discussing the dis/advantages of btrfs,
I'm only interested in the reasoning behind making (or not) it the
default for openSUSE. (is my English really that difficult to read?)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.7°C)