Re: [opensuse-factory] partition identification (was: 11.5 vs. 12.0)
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 06:24:30 -0400
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2011/03/14 09:24 (GMT-0700) Thomas Taylor composed:

Le 12/03/2011 07:58, Thomas Taylor a écrit :

> If you get rid of /dev/disk/by-id, How can you identify a partition in
> event of a partition table failure?

I always save a backup before any update/install including drive info. How
do you ghost a backup that only has uuids when replacing a defective drive
(I.E. how do you transfer the uuids which will be different on the new
drive)?

For several years now we've had the choice of 5 ways to refer to a partition
(listed in order of average length):

1-device name
2-by-id
3-by-uuid
4-by-path
5-by-label

The middle 3 typically cause lines too long to fit on one line in menu.lst
and fstab, and regardless of fit, are immemorable, so I never use them if I
can help it. The first is unreliable, which is why the others were created.
That leaves #5 as both memorably short (in optional form at least), and
reliable, and what I select during installation as long as not using RAID.

The shorter fstab syntax you can substitute for cmdline, instead of

root=/dev/disk/by-label/hdnickP10suse114

takes the following form

root=LABEL=hdnickP10suse114

Since you get to pick your own memorable partition names, why in either
menu.lst or fstab use anything else? You can even use labels with swap
partitions, by recreating them using the -L switch, same as when using mkfs.

Thanks, Felix;

I'd forgotten about by-label. That would also solve the replacement problem by
creating labeled partitions with PartedMagic.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3 x86_64 openSUSE 11.4M6 x86_64