Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
On 03/14/2011 11:20 AM, Sid Boyce wrote:
On 14/03/11 14:27, Roman Bysh wrote:
On 03/13/2011 03:21 PM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On 03/13/2011 05:12 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Roman Bysh wrote:

Hi all,

Will we be seeing btrfs as the default file system in the next
versions.

Which purpose would it serve?

There's really a lot's of area where btrfs will become usefull. (
some of them are only avalaible in ZFS actually )
But there's a lot of place to get it stabilize first. and missing
important tools like a fsck like :-)
Actually (My last check was one month ago) if a corrupt appear, you
loose :-(

So I wouldn't see that as a default filesystem in openSUSE yet.

ZFS would be great. Too bad Oracle owns it.

Going back quite a while there was an article comparing ZFS and BTRFS.
When mature BTRFS seems a better way to go.
It was saiway back that Linus was using BTRFS as his root filesystem. I
have ha it as a backup of my systems for a long time. On the Beagleboard
(ARM) I shall be using it tomorrow as my root filesystem on Ubuntu ARM -
as usual, while I was out today, the postman left a note to say he
couldn't deliver my new 32Gig micro SD card I need to try it out.
http://lwn.net/Articles/342892/
Regards
Sid.

Too bad about the micro card. Maybe tomorrow.
My concerns are about power outages or if for some reason a "hard reset"
may be required.

--
Cheers!

Roman