Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
On 03/14/2011 11:08 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag, 14. März 2011 schrieb Roman Bysh:
On 03/14/2011 10:26 AM, Roman Bysh wrote:
On 03/13/2011 03:21 PM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On 03/13/2011 05:12 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Roman Bysh wrote:
Hi all,

Will we be seeing btrfs as the default file system in the next
versions.

Which purpose would it serve?

There's really a lot's of area where btrfs will become usefull. ( some
of them are only avalaible in ZFS actually ) But there's a lot of place
to get it stabilize first. and missing important tools like a fsck like
:-) Actually (My last check was one month ago) if a corrupt appear, you
loose :-(

So I wouldn't see that as a default filesystem in openSUSE yet.

I've read:

Michael Tso had remarked many times that it is the next logical
progression.

Linux was going to move from ext4 to btrfs.

Roman

Err. I meant Ted Tso.
Even if Ted said btrfs is ready for production (which I don't think he does,
there aren't even stable releases of the tools yet) - how would you explain a
user what he gets from the switch?

Greetings, Stephan
I wouldn't say anything until some of these gotchas are addressed.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Gotchas

Cheers!

Roman