Re: [opensuse-factory] Bugs in 11.4
On Monday 14 March 2011 14:35:21 C wrote:

I also did not state that this was anything at all to do with being
like Ubuntu or that we should be like Ubuntu... nor did I speculate
anything about trying to be like Windows 7.

Anyway a tendency to copy from Windows and MacOS even
their disadvantages or other things which are specific for their circumstances
is prominent. Just some examples.

- Microsoft was under pressure from anti-trust bodies to remove IE from their
operating system. To justify the presence of IE in Windows they decided to
tightly integrate IE with Windows Explorer in Win98 thus making the Explorer
a universal tool which can serve as browser and as a file manager.

This decision was copied by KDE which made Konqueror a universal tool with
capabilities of browser and file manager.

Now to make option to uninstall IE to comply the demands of anti-trust bodies,
Microsoft decided to separate the file manager from the browser.

The KDE team followed the suite, and even claims that this is a good decision
from a design perspective and that attempts to make a combine from Konqueror
was a fault.

- Windows has no desktop menu categories unlike Linux, so with the growth
of the number of installed applications users had uncontrolled growth and mess
in their Applications menu.

So Microsoft decided to re-design the menu, to add the scrollbar and the
search field. These changes were copied by SUSE in the form of Kickoff and
included in both KDE and Gnome despite the underlying reason for such menu
design is Windows-specific, i.e., the lack of categorization.