Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There's really a lot's of area where btrfs will become usefull. ( some of
them are only avalaible in ZFS actually )
But there's a lot of place to get it stabilize first. and missing important
tools like a fsck like :-)
Actually (My last check was one month ago) if a corrupt appear, you loose
:-(

So I wouldn't see that as a default filesystem in openSUSE yet.

8 months is a long time in Linux, it is probably too early to make a
firm decision now.

8 months is an extremely short time for a filesystem. UFS did start in late
1981, in early 1982 universities started to use it. In late 1982 Kirk McKusick
(who claims that he is the father of UFS) joined the UFS group. UFS became
useful for heavy production use as a mature filesystem between 1990 and 1992.

ZFS started in 2001, so it now has the age to make it a mature filesystem.

BTRFS however seems to be in it's early days.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (uni)