Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 11:23 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 01:22:58 +0100
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Only if your BIOS is crap. I've seen server boards which spent >2
minutes in the BIOS, and once the BIOS was replaced with coreboot, the
delay magically shrunk to 3-4 seconds (for a big multiprocessor board
with all RAM slots populated). With coreboot, the limiting factor is

Depends on how you define "big" and how many "all" means in number.

XEN also needs a long time to clean the memory on start and while I'm not
suggesting that XEN is doing everything in the best way, and I have no
idea of the current memory bandwidth, but assume 20GB/second and you'll
need at least one minute to clear memory.
--

I also have some HP-proliant servers,
Their bios is a real nail to my coffin, although i doubt if i can repace

Other nice feature of XEN, is that it can emulate the hardware.
So if you have to run some crappy distro that doesn't recognize your
hardware, you can install SuSE & XEN and install that stuff in a single
virtual machine.

hw