Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 01:22:58 +0100
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Only if your BIOS is crap. I've seen server boards which spent >2
minutes in the BIOS, and once the BIOS was replaced with coreboot, the
delay magically shrunk to 3-4 seconds (for a big multiprocessor board
with all RAM slots populated). With coreboot, the limiting factor is

Depends on how you define "big" and how many "all" means in number.

XEN also needs a long time to clean the memory on start and while I'm not
suggesting that XEN is doing everything in the best way, and I have no
idea of the current memory bandwidth, but assume 20GB/second and you'll
need at least one minute to clear memory.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"