Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:46:13 -0800
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Boot time for servers do matter for systems where "uptime" is a measured
amount and it matters for service contracts. So reducing the boot time
from 5 minutes to 1 minute means real money for these providers and is
something that everyone should be happy about.

Yes, but to be honest - A brand new server takes > 2 minutes through the
BIOS, then ~50 seconds to boot into SLES11, and then it takes 3 trained
monkeys about 1 hour to start the application (which can not be done
automatically, apparently. It's enterprise software after all... :-)

So shaving off half of the SLES11 boot time will help nothing.

One example is that I always disable parallel booting, because some
vendor-init-scripts don't cope well with it and I'm too lazy to fix them.

Oh - add XEN to the mix and you'll get another ~4 minutes for scrubbing
the RAM... :-)

I'm very happy with systemd on my FACTORY laptop, but I think it's a total
non-issue for servers, at least for the boot speed.

... the "put every service in its own cgroup" however is very useful on
servers, as soon as someone fixes all the cgroups bugs... :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"