Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:57:05 +0100
Anders Johansson wrote:

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 21:25 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
I surmise that you have probably never worked in an environment with
such SLAs. Boot time is rarely if ever a factor in the evaluation of
risk. The only/best way to keep uptimes of 99.998% or more is
1) to reduce change to an absolute minimum and
2) when at all necessary, make sure changes happen during the planned
30min outage window on Christmas Eve.

Wrong, IMNSHO. It is the service that is supposed to have 99.998%
availability, not the machine. Anyone not using some sort of HA
solution, with redundant machines, is battling statistics, and will
eventually lose.

I agree, I was just waiting for someone to bring that up.

For this reason, you are free to run updates with significant downtime
on passive machines, and then fail them over, until all machines have
been updated.

Which is why, as I'm arguing, boot time is (largely) immaterial.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.9°C)